Saturday, February 7, 2015

Don't Cry for Me Mamasapano: Pres. Noynoy Aquino's address to the nation translated into a song

I read President Noynoy Aquino's address to the nation regarding Marwan's death, Purisima's resignation, and Mamasapano clash.  His speech reminded me of the song Don't Cry for Me Argentina. So below is my riff of the song.  The persona of the poem is the President of the Philippines trying to address a nation in agony over the death of 44 SAF men.

Don't Cry for Me Mamasapano

by Monk's Hobbit

It won't be easy, you'll think it strange
When I try to explain how I feel
That I still need your love after all that I've done

You won't believe me
All you will see are the men you once knew
Although they were geared up to the nines
Now they're all dead and I'm mourning with you

I had to let it happen. Things need to change
Let us give Mindanao a chance for peace
Welcoming friends from our windows, walking out in the sun

So I chose freedom
I went around and tried everything new
For Gloria impressed me not at all
Please pass the Bangsamoro Basic Law

Don't cry for me Mamasapano
The truth is I never left you
All through my wild ways
MILF's insistence
I kept my promise
Don't keep your distance

And as for Purisima, and as for him
He never commanded the men
Though it seemed to the world this was all I desired

These are illusions
He filed his resignation; I accepted it
It's better he leaves while he's charged
I trust him and I hope you trust me

Don't cry for me Mamasapano
The truth is I never left you
All through my wild ways
MILF's insistence
I kept my promise
Don't keep your distance

Have I said too much?
There's nothing more I can think of to say to you.
But all you have to do is look at me to know
That every word is true
LETTERS TO PRESIDENT BENIGNO AQUINO III - VOLUME I - STAY THE COURSE
LETTERS TO PRESIDENT BENIGNO AQUINO III - VOLUME I - STAY THE COURSE
Making Moros: Imperial Historicism and American Military Rule in the Philippines' Muslim South
Making Moros: Imperial Historicism and American Military Rule in the Philippines' Muslim South
Muslim Rulers and Rebels: Everyday Politics and Armed Separatism in the Southern Philippines (Comparative Studies on Muslim Societies)
Muslim Rulers and Rebels: Everyday Politics and Armed Separatism in the Southern Philippines (Comparative Studies on Muslim Societies)