Friday, January 16, 2015

I wandered lonely in the cloud over posts and tweets: a poem on Pope Francis's visit to the Philippines

(Note: the poem below is based on William Wordsworth's I wandered lonely as a cloud. I followed the metrical scheme and the key phrases-and even entire stanzas, but changed many of the words to describe how I felt sitting in front of my computer while reading the incoming tweets from the hashtags #PopeFrancisPH and #PapalVisitPH.)

I wandered lonely in the cloud over posts and tweets

by Monk's Hobbit

I wandered lonely in the cloud
That hosts the Facebook posts and tweets
When all at once I saw a crowd,
A host, of yellow flags and shirts;

Continuous as the stars that shine
And twinkle on Christmas day,
They stretched in never-ending line
Along the margin of Manila bay:
Ten thousand saw I at a glance,
Tossing their heads in sprightly dance.

A window rolled as a car drove past
Then the crowd cried out in glee:
A pope couldn't help but wave
At such a joyful company:
They gazed-and gazed-and great they thought
The wealth his face to them had brought.

Now oft, when on my couch I lie
In browsing or in blogging mood,
His smile would flash on my inward eye
Which is the bliss of solitude;
And then my heart with pleasure fills,
And dances with Pope Francis.
The Joy of the Gospel (Evangelii Gaudium): Apostolic Exhortation
The Joy of the Gospel (Evangelii Gaudium): Apostolic Exhortation
William Wordsworth - The Major Works: including The Prelude (Oxford World's Classics)
William Wordsworth - The Major Works: including The Prelude (Oxford World's Classics)