Sunday, November 24, 2013

Wicked Witch of the West book and the Musical in Manila on January 2014

Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (Wicked Years)
I finally got a copy of Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (Wicked Years).  I passed by de la Costa Hall yesterday.  Between the entrance to the building and the bronze statue of my favorite writer, Fr. Horacio de la Costa, the writer who can make me drool while reading his prose, is the book sale.  The saleslady there told me that they import boxes of used books without knowing what is inside.  If they find something good, then they put it in the shelf.  She said organization usually contact her company so that they set up their book shop outside the building.  Proceeds from the sales are divided between the company and the student organization.


Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (Wicked Years)
 Why do I want to read Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (Wicked Years)?  I read many excellent reviews of this book. I also heard that the musical is really good.  Well, the Wicked musical coming to Manila this January 2014! The tickets though are expensive, ranging from Php 1750 to Php 7,000 (see Ticketworld).  The cheapest ticket costs like a one-way plane trip to Bacolod.  The most expensive ticket costs like a roundtrip ticket for Bacolod for two.  If I wish to see this (I really wish to see this!), I must save money during Christmas.

I scanned through the pages and I think the prose and storytelling is good.  There are some references to an Unknown God.  The story of the Wicked Witch of the West is a story about morality, for no one is born evil: we are defined by the choices we make. I think I will love this book.  I'll dissect this book later.  If you plan to watch the musical this January to enjoy the singing, the dancing, and the flying(!), you must read the book first: Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (Wicked Years).